Saturday 2 February 2013

Review - Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Title: Overprotected
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Publication Date: 09/02/2011
Book Description: Ashlyn. A lonely society princess living in NewYork City.
Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard.
Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector.
Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever.
Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin.
Daddy was wrong.
A kidnapping leaves a father fanatical about his only child's safety. A story of obsessive love and the quest for independence.


Review: Overprotected is the second Jennifer Laurens book I have read. The first being A Season Of Eden (taboo teacher/student romance which I absolutely love) Having thoroughly enjoyed A Season Of Eden I had hoped to enjoy this one just as much if not more. Although Overprotected was a really fun, quick read (I swear Jennifer Laurens books are always very short?) It lacked...something. The plot was predictable. There was no exciting surprises for me which singled this book out from many other YA romances I have read in the past. Regardless of all this Overprotected was very entertaining in some parts and a speedy read.
What I liked: I liked the general idea of the book. Overprotective dad hires bodyguard to protect daughter,  daughter falls in love with bodyguard bla bla bla. The book description is what made me want to read the book in the first place. I also liked some of the subplots which occurred towards the middle of the book with Ashlyn’s parents. To be truthfully honest I found the drama between the parents more absorbing that the romance between Ashlyn and Collin. Which brings us onto what I didn’t like (There's a lot).
What I didn’t like: The romance between Ashlyn and Collin became kinda boring to me halfway through the book. After the initial omg I used to hate you when I was a kid why am I having strange feelings for you moments passed, the romance was lackluster. I found myself focusing more on other parts of the book. I also found the plot fairly predictable. Especially the end with the ex bodyguard Stuart coming back. I saw that coming since the beginning of the book. Finally the thing I disliked most about the novel was the ending. Although everything wrapped up nicely there was one vital part which they could have ended better.
“I turned a glance over my shoulder to see if the suited man was still tailing me. He was. I waved. His head averted the second I made eye contact.
Facing forward, I kept my gaze out ahead. A long as the suited guy kept his distance, we were good. I had more important things on my mind."

What. Whaaat? The whole novel was about how Ashlyn absolutely abhorred being under constant watch of a bodyguard. Then the ending she simply says she has more important things on her mind? I would have liked to see that issue dealt with more better as it was such an underlying controversy throughout the whole novel.
To summarize, Overprotected was enjoyable. It was fun and light and contained drama which made you want to carry on but at the same time it lacked a lot of points which would have made it a great book. The cover is simply horrendous one of the most ugly covers on a book I have ever seen (if that middle aged man on the cover is supposed to be Colin then wtf..).

3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment